The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics cites that print operator positions are declining at a rate of 13% annually – equating to roughly 20,000 people leaving their jobs over the next 4 years.
Considering these troubling numbers and the scarcity of available industry training, Heidelberg USA has restructured its 30,000 square foot, state-of-the-art Print Media Center in Kennesaw, GA with a strong focus on training programs designed to build and grow the skills of current and future operators and print industry professionals.
The newly named Print Media Performance & Training Center’s initial training schedule for 2022 is set to begin this summer. Initial classes will focus on what Heidelberg has deemed industry “critical” topics such as:
- Print Fundamentals: Basic Ink & Water Balance
- Specialized Sheetfed Feeder Training for New Operators
- UV Printing including Coating Applications and Special Effects
- Print Troubleshooting
- Commercial Folding Basics: Folder Operation and Slit/ Score/Perforation
- Introduction to Die Cutting
- Introduction to Folding and Gluing
“We have an infinite knowledge pool and the most updated technology at our disposal. As an industry leader, we are obligated to educate and train our industry’s workforce to ensure they know what is possible both now and in the future,” said Clarence Penge, Executive Vice President of Product Management for Heidelberg USA. “It is our responsibility to link the people, process, and technology to ensure our customers’ success.”
Looking at training as an industry critical need, Heidelberg will offer most of the classes in the Performance and Training Center to participants for free, recognizing there is a cost to the customer for travel expenses.
Classes will be a combination of theoretical and hands-on equipment training. While training will primarily focus on offset printing and finishing at first, they will offer additional topics in the future, however, that hinges on the industry’s commitment to registering their operators for available classes.
An essential part of educating the industry on the newest technology is ensuring that the Performance & Training Center is always equipped with the latest and greatest equipment available. Technology at the Center includes:
- Heidelberg’s newest press, a Speedmaster CX 104 – six-color UV machine equipped with coater and the patented, navigated Push-to-Stop technology featuring a completely new operating philosophy, the Heidelberg User Experience, which together with the Intellistart 3 system and a whole host of assistance systems, ensure short makeready times and the best possible support for operators.
- POLAR cutters
- A Stahlfolder KH 82
- Easymatrix 106 die cutter
- Prinect workflow
- Suprasetter 106 CtP
- Versafire EV and EP
- Labelfire 340
- Speedmaster XL 106-8P+L equipped with the newest generation Speedmaster technology –
- Diana Easy 115 folder-gluer
The Performance & Training Center will continue to host demonstrations for equipment and software.
To register for available training dates or to schedule a demonstration, please contact your local Heidelberg Sales Representative or visit https://news.heidelbergusa.com/pmc-training.